HOST YOUR OWN MOONHACK EVENT
Help educate and inspire more kids to give coding a go, and have real impact.Register
Moonhack is a fun, simple and educational way to get coding.
In October 2022, during World Space Week, the Moonhack challenge will provide 6 new projects for kids to try. Each project is developed to showcase the variety of ways that satellites, both natural and man made, are used by people across the world and the place that they have in the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
Registrations are now open!
HOW DO I BECOME A HOST?
Moonhackathons are for any household, library or school that want to organise a group to participate in Moonhack.
These are independently held events, not managed by Code Club. Don’t worry! We have some simple steps to get you to the moon and back.
Need some support to get set up? We’ve got posters, backgrounds, logos and more available to download in this folder.
Choose your project (or projects!) on the Start a Project tab above. Don't forget to register your participation to be counted!
Check your tech! Download your project, have a go yourself!
How will you lead your Moonhackathon? Get the kids coding one or more of the projects above!
Submit your project, download your certificate and celebrate! Check back to see the final number on October 24th!
WHO IS CODE CLUB?
Code Club is a nationwide network of volunteer-led coding clubs with a mission to #getkidscoding! We are a charity with the aim of giving every child the skill, confidence and opportunity to shape their world.
All Code Clubs are free to join, and are supported by volunteers, parents, educators and our partners.
WHO IS MOONHACK FOR?
Moonhack is for all children. From first time coders to coding wizz-kids, we have a Moonhack project to progress them on their coding journey.
You don’t have to be a part of a Code Club, CoderDojo or other group to participate.
Moonhack is designed for anyone who is curious to give coding a try. We also want to inspire those familiar with coding to create and share their best work!
WHICH PROJECT SHOULD I CHOOSE?
There were 6 projects for Moonhack in 2022. You can find the full list of projects here.
Each of them has varying skill levels, here’s a brief outline (in order from easiest to hardest):
– Satellites in Space – Scratch – This is a great beginner project, suitable for kids just getting started with Scratch.
– Save the Trees – Micro:Bit- Use the multi MakeCode tool to code 2 Micro:Bits. Can be completed with our without physical Micro:Bits.
– Stop the Fires – Scratch – A clicker style game.
– Tagai Constellation – Scratch – An animation of the Torres Strait Islanders story sharing the story of Tagai. This includes animation and user input.
– What Will I Wear? – Scratch – A project with several ‘chapters’ to show the journey of a satellite being launched.
– Light – Python – A little bit trickier, this lesson might be a bit challenging for those new to general text coding.